A few quick newbie questions...

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 20:16:42 UTC 2005

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 08:20:43 -0500, Erik Hemdal <ehemdal at townisp.com> wrote:

> > Using a 200GIG WD harddrive and VIA EPIA M10000 mini-ITX
> > motherboard with 512 megs of RAM....
> >
> > #1 - I do the install, no problems as far as I can tell, then
> > it has to do a reboot.  It gets to where it is then asking
> > for a "username" in the middle of the screen.  I don't have a
> > username.  At some point during the install it forces me to
> > put in an admin name or something, but that user/pass doesn't
>
> Yes you do.  At a minimum, you have a username 'root'.  The password is that
> which you established for the administrator during installation.  You should
> also set up a separate "user's" account and use that account for your
> everyday work.
>
> > work.  Is there a way during the install to tell it "hey, no
> > freaking user/pass on this computer"?
>
> No.  Linux is a true multiuser and multitasking OS.  Having specific
> usernames and passwords allows you to have better control over your system
> and makes it more secure.  The tiny inconvenience of logging in is worth the
> benefit.
>
> I can think of one way in which you could avoid usernames and passwords
> (there may be others) but this is extra work to make the system easier to
> break.  Set up users, and save yourself grief.
>
> Log in as user root, with the password you set, and run
>
> system-config-users
>
> at a shell prompt (System Settings > Users and Groups on the menu) to set up
> an ordinary user's account.
> >
> > #2 - Want to do a dual boot between XP and Linux.  Do I
> > partition the harddrive first, then install XP, then install Linux?
>
> That is what I would do to create a dual-boot system.  If you are working on
> a system which currently contains XP, reduce the size of your NTFS partition
> to make space for Fedora.  Do not alter the small FAT partition which XP has
> created (XP needs a FAT partition to work).  Leave the freed up space
> unpartitioned.  Anaconda will handle formatting for you when you choose to
> install in unpartitioned space.
>
> Hope this helps.   Erik
>
> --

You CAN set it up so that you can turn on the computer and not have to
enter a password. In KDE: Menu-> Control Center-> System
Administration-> Login Manager -> Convienience

There you can define which user to log in automatically, and with no
password. I should note that I did it in Gnome, not KDE, but I'm not
about to logout and log back in to check how it is done in Gnome. In
any case, I'm such a newbie that if I figured it out, I'm sure that
you will be able to, if you insist on doing it in gnome.

Dotan Cohen
http://English-Lyrics.com
http://Song-Lyriks.com