first time Fedora for me, any tips?

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Fri Feb 25 03:08:58 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-02-24 at 16:16 -0600, STYMA, ROBERT E (ROBERT) wrote:

> The point I was making was, unless you have a good reason to do so,
> there is no need to set up a mail transport.  If you are setting up
> your own domain locally so you can receive mail at me at mydomain.org
> then you need a mail transport agent.  If you are just settin up a
> Linux box for personal use and getting mail via me at cox.net or whatever
> is acceptable, you do not need a mail transport agent.  Since the
> original post was titled, "first time Fedora for me, any tips?",
> I am assuming a desktop machine and not a mail server.  If I were
> building a windows box, the user would just point outlook express
> to the ISP's mail server, or the internal one if it is in a company
> and leave it at that.  Linux is capable of working the same way.
> First time through, I recommend making things as simple as possible.
>
> I think we were making different assumptions about what the box
> was going to do.
----
not at all - and I simply don't agree with you.

I don't see the point of turning off MTA - to save a cycle or two? to
stop a listener happening at localhost?

I would agree that it doesn't seem to serve a purpose for user in that
instance but perhaps op turns it off at your suggestion and experiments
with stuff later down the road and forgets that somebody told them to
shut off sendmail service. It would make more sense to me to put an
alias for root: myemailaddress at mymailprovider.tld and at least, op would
likely get root emails and it's less trouble explaining how to do it.

You might shut off sendmail on your machines - it is your perogative.
When you suggest that to a newbie - you are effectively saying that you
know better than Red Hat - I'm not convinced that you do.

Craig