DVD burning - mkisofs max size allowed

Toralf Lund toralf at procaptura.com
Fri Feb 25 10:19:48 UTC 2005

A. Lanza wrote:

>El jue, 24-02-2005 a las 08:06 -0600, Jeff Vian escribió:
>

>>On Thu, 2005-02-24 at 14:12 +0100, A. Lanza wrote:
>>

>>>Hi list,
>>>
>>>i'm trying to burn a DVD using k3b, as i usually do for CD burning. I'm
>>>using 4,7GB size DVD-R. The problem is that i cannot burn a 4,4GB. file.
>>>The file is exactly 4,613,704,668 bytes long.

OK. I didn't get the beginning of this thread, so please excuse me if
I'm repeating something that has been said already.

Anyhow:

>>>The message i get from k3b is the following:
>>>	/usr/bin/mkisofs: Value too large for defined data type
>>>and then
>>>	File <file> is too large - ignoring
>>>
>>>It seems like the problem is the file size, but that file should fit in
>>>a DVD, shouldn't it? Is there any limit in the size of files written to
>>>DVD?

It seems to me that the question is not whether the file fits into the
DVD, but rather if its size fits into the variables used by mkisofs to
address files and/or doing space calculations. ("mkisofs" is the command
used to actually burn the DVD; k3b is just a front-end to other commands.)

The number 4613704668 is too large to be represented by a normal 32-bit
integer variable (which is probably the most common kind, in case you
didn't know.) Also, a file of that size won't be handled correctly if
using the plain old open/read system calls; one has to take care to
enable the "large file" extension.

You should probably check the docs carefully to see if mkisofs has a
32-bit and/or 4Gb (or 2Gb) limitation...