Problems with rpm database

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Fri Feb 25 13:21:33 UTC 2005

Axel Thimm wrote:
> It is and it works like a charm iff you avoid multilib, e.g. remove
> all overlapping i386 packages. For servers that don't need openoffice
> or HelixPlayer that's not a major loss.

For non-maths speakers, "iff" isn't a misprint, it means "if and only
if".

In other words, you can use apt on x86-64 if and ONLY if you're not
going to have any (overlapping) i386 packages.

In practice, practically everything binary links against glibc. So
unless you've got a specially-compiled "statically-linked" binary,
that means no i386 packages.

Having written that, some Debian folks seem to get on well with a
chrooted installation of i386 binaries. One day, I might try that.

James (on x86-64).

--
James Wilkinson       | DON'T be put off by "horror stories" spread by
Exeter    Devon    UK | others.  People who talk about death and serious