"mount" as a user

James Pifer jep at obrien-pifer.com
Fri Feb 25 15:57:18 UTC 2005

I've made the switch to linux (FC3) as my OS and I'm using crossover
office for a couple required windows only apps, like Lotus Notes.

So I'm trying to adjust to this new environment. One of the things I was
accustomed to on my old windows system was mapping to my other machines,
getting to files, etc. The "other" machines are a mix of Windows and
Linux, but mostly Linux.

For the windows machines I'll continue to map shares using samba. The
problem is my linux machines. On windows I use to map them using Samba,
but now that I'm running linux, I was thinking NFS is probably the
better way to go. Right? Wrong? Of course I can't run mount unless I'm
root and then I don't have rights as my login to the data anyway. Is
there any way I can seamless mount these drives and still have rights to
them with my login?

Should I just use samba to map these as well?

Also, my old windows drive is also mounted as read only using an NTFS
module. Again, it's mounted as root and works, but when I'm logged in as
me I can view anything. I'd like to view/copy my old windows files
logged in as myself.

How are others handling these scenerios?

Thanks,
James