OT -- > GMail and Reply-To: Advice

Paul M. Bucalo pmbuc at pmbservices.com
Fri Feb 25 18:38:28 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-02-25 at 12:21 -0600, Gustavo Seabra wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 12:31:38 -0500, Paul M. Bucalo
> <pmbuc at pmbservices.com> wrote:
> > Anyone using a GMail account for lists should be aware of a kludge-fix
> > that will remove the unwanted Reply-To in sent emails. I wish I could
> > take credit for figuring this out. Just have friends smarter than me:
> >
> > 1. Login to your account online
> > 2. Click on your "Settings" link
> > 3. Under "Reply-to address:", check the blank choice below your email
> > address, then enter into the empty box "< >" (without the quotes!)
> >
> > Emails that I have sent from GMail to my POP3 accounts show nothing
> > listed in the Reply-To: field.
> >
> > Would this trick work for other Web-based email accounts? Don't know,
> > but it would be worth trying.
> >
> > Paul
>
> Ok. If I do that, what happens to my personal e-mail? Will people
> still be able to reply directly to me? (sorry if it is too stupid a
> question.)

Of course! :0)

The "Reply-To:" field would be useful when you are emailing from one
account address, but would like the replying party to redirect their
reply to another email address instead instead. Many lists fill the
"Reply-To:" with their own reply address so that a list member would
only have to click on the "Reply" button in their favorite email client
and properly post their reply to the list, exclusively.

This is what the headers of one of your previous posts looked like in
Evolution on my laptop, before you made the change:

                              From:
Gustavo Seabra
<gustavo.seabra at gmail.com>
                                To:
skimble04 at gmail.com, For users of
Fedora Core releases <fedora-
list at redhat.com>
Re: Werid Mozilla Firefox Problem on
Fedora Core 3
                              Date:
Fri, 25 Feb 2005 12:11:41 -0600
(13:11 EST)

Notice that the "Reply-To:" has *vour* email address, as well as that of
the list's. If I were to click on Evolution's "reply" button, I would
end up sending the same email to you *and* to the list. You would end up
getting doubles and wonder why.

Now, after you made change, here's what one of your post's headers look
like:

                              From:
Gustavo Seabra
<gustavo.seabra at gmail.com>