DVD burning - mkisofs max size allowed

Brian Ashe rhlist at dee-web.com
Fri Feb 25 18:47:54 UTC 2005

On Friday February 25, 2005 11:59 am, John Wendel wrote:
> [...]

<snip>
> Remember that when you burn a file to a DVD, growisofs has to convert
> the file to an ISO filesystem image and then burn this to the DVD. This
> process is adding to the number of bytes making the image too large for
> the disk. Perhaps K3B's size calculation needs some adjustment to
> account for this size expansion ???

And from the growisofs man page...

-overburn
Normally DVD media can accommodate up to approximately 4.700.000.000 bytes (in
marketing speech 4.7GB). In other words a DVD can contain about 4.377 GiB or
4482 MiB. Growisofs won't start without this option, if "overburn" condition
appears to be unavoidable.

--
Brian Ashe - CTO
Dee-Web Software Services, LLC.