List Rules

Hacksaw hacksaw at hacksaw.org
Sat Feb 26 14:47:25 UTC 2005

>trying to summarise the content to that extend within the title makes
>it too long

Yes, but calling it "List Guidelines" makes ignoring it too tempting. Remember
that people are taught from a very early age that people will impose
strictures on them that appear to be arbitrary and burdensome. Some of the
time this is because the rules are, in fact, arbitrary and burdensome. They
are designed to keep you out. And then sometimes the rules are for a good
reason, and enforce the widest possible use of the thing they surround.
Witness the GPL.

My suggested title is an attempt to address the knee-jerk reaction from those
who have had too many stupid rules imposed on them. Instead being a stricture,
they become an affordance, to use the design term.

And what's a few extra words between colleagues, especially when it might help
make the burden lighter for some?

How about "Get Your Question or Problem Read on fedora-list"?
--
The universe is not only stranger than we (can) imagine,
it's stranger than we CARE to imagine!