Network Manager

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Sat Feb 26 15:31:23 UTC 2005

D. D. Brierton wrote:

> Dan has said on more than one occasion that the biggest problem
> with NM is that linux wireless drivers suck.

I don't agree that the standard orinoco_cs driver "sucks".
It has worked for me perfectly on several laptops.

The orinoco_cs author has been careful - or conservative -
not to include code which might cause problems on some PCMCIA cards.

Personally, I would prefer a program which worked faultlessly
with restricted facilities
rather than a more ambitious program which might cause my computer
to hang or panic.

I seem to be alone in not finding the Windows Network wizard very good.
Both Windows and Linux wizards seem to me to try to be too clever.
I'd rather be told what is going on, what config files are being modified,
what the program has learned about my setup, etc.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366