List Rules

Jeff Kinz jkinz at kinz.org
Sun Feb 27 14:16:53 UTC 2005

On Sat, Feb 26, 2005 at 07:01:29PM -0600, Thomas Cameron wrote:
> This type of hair-splitting, barracks-lawyering claptrap is exactly what I
>
> How about this - if you don't like someone's post, delete it.  Or maybe
> refer them (preferably privately) to ESR's "How To Ask Questions The Smart
> Way."  It isn't your (or my) place to tell anyone how they should live their
> life,

Hi Tom,   Sorry to bring this up, but you are shooting your self in the
foot (figuratively).

One of the principles ESR strongly promotes in "How To Ask Questions The
Smart Way." is that you correct people in public, not private.

He urges people to do it loudly, in public, on the list.  Why?
This way the community standards are made visible to newcomers and
if discussion or debate is needed, then it happens in public where
everyone can participate/benefit/ignore as it suits them.

A quick analysis of the content of the list will show that these standards
are in common use and practice.  Keeping them visible has definitely
been good for the list.

I see from your five line attribution that you use Outlook -
There is a fix for this and other defects in Outlook here:

To fix Outlook:
http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/outlook-quotefix/

To fix outlook express:

http://www.fedoratracker.org http://www.fedorafaq.org