cannot boot fedora FC3 after succesful installation on a quad Opteron

Simeon Nifos archwndas at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 28 06:13:22 UTC 2005

> I have a Tyan dual Opteron motherboard that I can
> make work, but it will
> not reboot correctly requiring a clearing of the
> CMOS then re-setup of
> CMOS and sometimes it even locks up while running.
> Haven't found the
> cause yet. But your discussion makes me believe I
> should take a second
> look at the memory, maybe even try a different
> version memory device set.
>
> Bill
>
>  > Hi Simon,
>
>  > I had a similar problem on a Thinkpad using the
> 32-bit version.
>  > It turned out to be a wrong memory module, I had
> a 512 MB PC2100 (266
>  > Mhz) SO-DIMM installed and the machine needs
> PC2700 (333 MHz) memory.
>
>  > Some times the machine booted fine only to give
> problems later (Kernel
>  > panic), some times it stopped when setting the
> time right at the place
>  > that you indicate.
>
>  > Memtest reported the memory as ok, but maybe it's
> not running it at 333
>  > MHz at the time of the test (??).
>
>  > Best regards,
>  > Chris

So what are you suggesting here? That I should change
my 4GB of Memory module 512Mb PC3200 ECC Reg. Kingston
"D" ??? Nooooooo!

Look SuSE 9.1 worked fine! I think it is a Fedora
problem and not a hardware problem! If it was a
Hardware problem neither SUSE nor any other
(Linux distro) would be able to work properly! Since
one is found which works fine then I think it is a
FEDORA issue! My question in that list just wanted
to check out if there is any upgrade or patch which
handles such problems!

So is there anything like that?