System freeze ?

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Mon Feb 28 15:16:03 UTC 2005

Ted wrote:
> I am using a gigabyte mobo, athlon xp2600 processor and a nvidea
> graphics card...I have 2 hdds with Libranet on one and fedora
> on the other...I have tried several distros on this box and all except
> Libranet freeze at some time...When the ststem freezes I can move
> the mouse pointer but the k/board is totally locked and the kde clock
> does not count down and I have to resort to the reset button.
> Knotix,Slackware,Ubuntu and SuSE seem to crash within a couple of
> hours but Fedora will sometimes last for a day or so....I can replicate
> the crash by deleting mail in my inbox too quickly or calling up apps
> from the task bar quickly will sometimes cause it to crash..
> Memtest seems to rum forever ok and have tried the Mersenne prime test
> and that is ok...I have also opened the case and forced fan cooling into
> it but no difference...Any tips welcome...

To add to this.

I am still using FC1 and I get the exact symptoms.  I have an nvidia
card and Athlon processor on an ASUS board.

My computer will run for months with no problem but I have found that
if I change windows or open an application to quickly, it will lock
the screen.  If I don't do anything, processes will continue to run in
the background.  If I do try to unlock the screen, everything stops.
Hard reset time.

There are bug reports of this but the response is to update to the
latest version from FC1.  I am waiting until FC4 now.

As a side note, I do notice that when downloading large files from
usenet, as each segment is written to the HD, XMMS will stop playing
on a regular basis.

This is not just a FC2 problem.  I have ran all external test possible
to confirm hardware is working.

I think my problems may be related to SATA driver as all problems seem
to point to some access on the SATA drive.
--
Robin Laing