Dual Boot, Grub, FC3-WinXpSP2, 2 drives. No go.

Robert Locke lists at ralii.com
Mon Feb 28 18:33:21 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-02-28 at 13:18 -0500, Nat Gross wrote:
> Hi;
> I installed FC3 on a WinXP-sp2 system, whose c: drive was NOT being used
> (for real), or so I thought. And gave the entire drive, hda, to FC3. I
> reasoned that since my winXP booted into drive E:, the second drive,
> hdb, Grub would have no issues with booting Windows. However, although
> it boots FC3 nicely, when I elect to boot xp, it displays 'rootnoverify
> (hd1,0) chainloader +1' and stops. Due to the partioning of hdb (as
> listed below), I have tried hd1,1 as well, with the same results.
> The hardware is as follows:
> Dell Intel 1.6ghz, 768 meg ram, 2 hard drives, 20gig and 60gig.
> Disk info:
> hda:
> hda1 1-33,     /boot, 259meg, ext3.
> hda2 34-164 swap, 1 gig
> hda3 165-2498, /, 18gig, ext3.
>
> hdb:
> hdb1 1-3633, 28.4gig, fa32. (not mounted, or touched with Linux.)
> hdb2 3634-7299,28.7gig, Extended. ( ditto)
> hdb5 3634-7299,28.7gig,ntfs. (don't know why its listed twice. whatever.)
>
> The /boot/grub/grub.conf:
> # NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means that
> #          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
> #          root (hd0,0)
> #          kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hda3
> #          initrd /initrd-version.img
> #boot=/dev/hda
> default=0
> timeout=5
> splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
> hiddenmenu
> password --md5 blah
> title Fedora Core (2.6.9-1.667)
>     root (hd0,0)
>     kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.667 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
>     initrd /initrd-2.6.9-1.667.img
> title WinXP
>     rootnoverify (hd1,1)
>     chainloader +1
> =========================
> As noted above, I also tried     rootnoverify (hd1,0) .
>
> Thank you
> -nat

You might want to try hdb1,4 on the rootnoverify line.

My rationale is the idea that your machine was booting from drive "e".
Also note that the fdisk output of hdb5 being the ntfs based partition
while hdb1 is the FAT32.

By the way, the hd nomenclature is "drive number","partition number" and
both start counting from zero.  So your first partition would be hd1,0
the FAT partition and hd1,4 would be the ntfs partition.  hd1,1 does not
actually hold any data, it is an artifact of decisions that MBR
partition tables can only define four partitions.  So turn one in to an
extended partition that can then be divvied up into additional logical
partitions.

HTH,

--Rob