System freeze ?

Ted ted at trufflesdad.plus.com
Mon Feb 28 19:32:07 UTC 2005

Robin Laing wrote:
> Ted wrote:
>
>> I am using a gigabyte mobo, athlon xp2600 processor and a nvidea
>> graphics card...I have 2 hdds with Libranet on one and fedora
>> on the other...I have tried several distros on this box and all except
>> Libranet freeze at some time...When the ststem freezes I can move
>> the mouse pointer but the k/board is totally locked and the kde clock
>> does not count down and I have to resort to the reset button.
>> Knotix,Slackware,Ubuntu and SuSE seem to crash within a couple of
>> hours but Fedora will sometimes last for a day or so....I can replicate
>> the crash by deleting mail in my inbox too quickly or calling up apps
>> from the task bar quickly will sometimes cause it to crash..
>> Memtest seems to rum forever ok and have tried the Mersenne prime test
>> and that is ok...I have also opened the case and forced fan cooling
>> into it but no difference...Any tips welcome...
>

> To add to this.
>
> I am still using FC1 and I get the exact symptoms.  I have an nvidia
> card and Athlon processor on an ASUS board.
>
> My computer will run for months with no problem but I have found that if
> I change windows or open an application to quickly, it will lock the
> screen.  If I don't do anything, processes will continue to run in the
> background.  If I do try to unlock the screen, everything stops. Hard
> reset time.
>
> There are bug reports of this but the response is to update to the
> latest version from FC1.  I am waiting until FC4 now.
>
> As a side note, I do notice that when downloading large files from
> usenet, as each segment is written to the HD, XMMS will stop playing on
> a regular basis.
>
> This is not just a FC2 problem.  I have ran all external test possible
> to confirm hardware is working.
>
> I think my problems may be related to SATA driver as all problems seem
> to point to some access on the SATA drive.

I find this is not specific to Fedora...I have tried several distros and
all exhibit the same problem apart from Libranet..I cannot understand
why Libranet should be ok yet others fail...I have been running the
Mersenne prime prog plus seti and gkrellm shows 98% useage fro the last
8 hours and have no problems...As soon as I try to call up apps in kde
or delete mail too quickly the system freezes completely...No response
from k/board and need to hard reset....Am using FC/3 at the moment and
although it does freeze it is about the best distro I have tried....

--
Regards
  Ted Wager