Dual Boot, Grub, FC3-WinXpSP2, 2 drives. No go.

Nat Gross natgross.rentalsystems at verizon.net
Mon Feb 28 20:46:10 UTC 2005

Robert Locke wrote:

>On Mon, 2005-02-28 at 15:18 -0500, Nat Gross wrote:
>

>>Robert Locke wrote:

><snip>
>

>>>I guess you need to define which "partition" contains the "WINDOWS"
>>>directory.  That is the one that you would be "booting" from.  So is
>>>that on hdb1 or hdb5.....
>>>
>>>But I must admit that my Windows boot process knowledge is getting
>>>mighty rusty, now that I use VMWare to run it.
>>>
>>>As I recall, the Windows bootloader is mighty cheesy....  It simply
>>>pointed to the first sector of the "active" partition....  I wonder if
>>>playing with hide and unhide in grub might help.  Can you hide a whole
>>>drive or just a partition, haven't had to do one myself?  But that way
>>>you might be able to allow Windows to think it is the only drive again
>>>which is perhaps what it is expecting?  Windows may be trying to
>>>interpret the first drive's partition table and getting itself confused
>>>as it tried to boot....
>>>

>>Grub intercepts the boot.
>>

>Well, that's open for a little interpretation....
>
>chainloader is essentially just passing control back to Windows to boot
>itself.

Oh.

>The Windows MBR component is what is replaced/intercepted by
>GRUB.  But the chainloader line is execute sector +1 on the rootnoverify
>line.  Generally Windows has historically held the NTLDR executable
>there that then reads the boot.ini file and performs it's boot.....

One minute. So, the boot.ini might have been on C:?<gasp>
On the other hand, it should not be too hard to write a boot.ini, if I
recall correctly from my last win crash. But, where should I stick that
file? Or, maybe I should try to mount the the ntfs partition (via the
3rd party driver) just to look for boot.ini...
<sigh>
Mr. Gates, I ain't going back to you!!!! (after I'm thru with this.)
-nat