firefox question re mpg download disposal

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sun Jan 2 02:57:29 UTC 2005

Greetings;

I just tried to download the video of the hearing where the SCO case
against DC was dismissed, a 56meg mpg download.  The menu said it was
to use vlc to play it.  On the first download, vlc never started, and
it is installed and works just fine.

On the second download, I let it finish too, but changed it to save to
disk in the menu, then went looking for the file, wasn't to be found
by an updatedb+locate.

Third time, I found the growing file in the Cache, and watched it till
the dl was finished and that file disappeared out from under vlc as
it was supposedly renamed and moved at the end of the download.
However, firefox never asked me where to put the file!  So I'm doing
another updatedb to see if it was deleted, or if it was just moved
someplace.

IMO, this should warrant a bugzilla entry against firefox 1.0, or has
this already been done?  Update, no its not been found, so where the
hell does firefox put such stuff, /dev/null?

FWIW, I just added vlc at the top of the list of mpeg players in the
kde prefs, but I've NDI if that will bother firefox.  Can anyone
advise me please?

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)