iPod, udev, and mounting

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Sun Jan 2 11:39:13 UTC 2005

On 01/01/2005 10:53:41 PM, HaJo Schatz wrote:

> As of FC3, look into HAL. It's IMO the most beautiful way to handle
> removable devices ever.

Yes - it seems to work well, though it seems there is a high frequency
of my iPod mini not knowing that it has been unmounted (the do not
disconnect message) - which remains even after powered off - until I
boot Windows and have iTunes unmount the iPod. But the syncing itself
seems flawless.

Since the iPod is proprietary hardware, I'm guessing there is little
incentive to debug and fix that issue. I don't know if it is hal - but
using automount the few times I did worked flawlessly, so maybe
automount does something differently than hal.

I do know with automount opposed to hal, the iPod is only mounted when
needed and then unmounted within a few seconds - and doesn't show up as
a volume on the desktop, which (to me) makes more sense - though I
suppose someone with a bigger iPod who also uses it as a data drive
might prefer what Hal does.