X terminating suddenly without warning

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Mon Jan 3 01:41:07 UTC 2005

Chris wrote:
> Hi Jim,
>
> I tried that and the results are not good. I can no longer log into the
> system and X isn't starting up at all. After it boots, it presents the
> character login but the keyboard is dead. I got it to boot the previous
> kernel (logged in using single user mode, fixed grub.conf) again the the
> same results (not being able to log in).

Did you download the correct archetecture kernel? I had a problem with
keyboard not working with some kernel called hugemem or something
similar. There are ppc, 64 bit and smp kernels in this repository.

> Probably have to force install the current kernel. It looks like the
> machine crashes as it's not pinging either ...>
> On Jan 02, 2005, at 00:03, Jim Cornette wrote:

 From runlevel 1 you might try to use the --install --replacefiles
--replacepkgs --oldpackage options to rpm. I would not consider force
installing anything. Forcing installation on the kernel even sounds more
like a danger zone creation.

/sbin/lspci shows my cards as below. your earlier description seemed to
be referring to the same card type.

01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon Mobility U1

I hope you can salvage the system. If you downloaded the wrong
archetecture of kernel, you can uninstall it with rpm, then install the
correct arch version.

Jim

--
Kirk to Enterprise -- beam down yeoman Rand and a six-pack.