fc3-64 for a newby?

Craig Carver arawn1 at cogeco.ca
Mon Jan 3 06:24:16 UTC 2005

Jonathan Berry wrote:

>On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 11:48:47 -0800 (PST), Jason Hiller
><jasonchiller at yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>I want to get some opinions on whether Fedora Core-64
>>is a good choice for a Linux newby.  I have some
>>experience w/ Linux but not a great deal.  I am going
>>to buy a new computer and was considering getting a
>>AMD-64 chip.  I am going to run Fedora Core
>>exclusively on the new machine.  Is installing and
>>running FC-64 within the grasp of a Linux beginner or
>>should I stick with i386?  Are there any other
>>drawbacks to going with FC-64 vs. FC-i386?  Any
>>opinions are appreciated.  Also, if this is the wrong
>>place to ask this type of question please redirect me.
>> Thanks in advance.
>>

>Hi Jason,
>I'd say definitely go with an AMD64 chip and definitely go with the
>64-bit version.  You should not really have any trouble with it more
>than you would with the 32-bit version.  I'd say if you can do the
>i386 version, you can do x86_64.  The only thing I have not been able
>to do with FC x86_64 is use my (Broadcom) wireless with ndiswrapper
>(it's a laptop), though this may be working in the near future.  For
>anything that does not yet work with 64-bit, you can install the
>32-bit and run it.  For instance, you can install 32-bit Firefox to
>get flash and java plugins to work.  Most things work with 64-bit
>though, and those that don't will in time.  If you have the disk
>space, you can even dual boot the x86_64 and i386 versions.
>
>Jonathan

All-in-all I've got no stability issues with my x86_64 system, however
there are some things to consider if you're planning to get a Nvidia
video card.  The 64-bit drivers have a bug with the mouse pointer on
PCIe systems, SLI in particular.  They (Nvidia) know about it and it
should be fixed in the next driver release.

If you're wanting to go 64-bit, check out the components you want to get
for compatability...  it may just save you a headache or two.

Other than the mouse on my system, it's stable as heck, and wasn't any
more difficult to install or run than the i386 version.