HP notebook wireless networking

James Mounts james at trueld.com
Mon Jan 3 15:27:51 UTC 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: fedora-list-bounces at redhat.com [mailto:fedora-list-bounces at redhat.com]
On Behalf Of Erik Hemdal
Sent: Monday, January 03, 2005 8:19 AM
To: fedora-list at redhat.com
Subject: Re: HP notebook wireless networking

>I'm about to order a hp amd64 notebook zv5000z series.  There are 2 choices
>for wireless, but not much info on what the chipsets are.  Anyone know if
>there is any problem with FC3 on this machine?
>
>Networking choices are:
>
>1) 54g(TM) 802.11b/g WLAN w/ 125HSM/SpeedBooster(TM)
>2) 54g(TM) Integ. Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN & Bluetooth

Neal: I'd vote against the Broadcom board. Broadcom refuses to create a
Linux driver, so you're stuck with ndiswrapper to get it to go. I have
one on a Windows laptop and it just doesn't work. Connectivity is spotty
at best and it is a very balky board. I think you can expect trouble
with Broadcom.

The SpeedBooster sounds like a Linksys card. I've not used the one you
listed, but I have had good luck with Linksys gear in the past. I
couldn't find data on the chipset; maybe that's a question for HP's
presales support folks.

Erik

Neal: Do you know if that laptop uses MINIPCI technology?
IF it does, then you are not stuck with those 2 choices. You would be able
to get any MINIPCI wireless card available. Look into it, go to a local
computer store, mainly CompUSA or Best Buy, and look at that model and see
if there is the MINIPCI expansion bay ( on the bottom of the laptop ).

I would then suggest getting an INTEL 2200BG pro 54MB MINIPCI card. Get it
from DELL DIRECT for 35 bucks shipped ( as of 3 days ago ). I use this card,
and finally got it working on FC3 and it works great.

James