Reinstalled Windows & Grub, but windows wont boot... help!

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Mon Jan 3 22:02:06 UTC 2005

On Mon, Jan 03, 2005 at 02:05:27PM -0600, Andrew Konosky wrote:
> I reformatted my windows 98 C: drive (/dev/hda1) and installed WinXP,
> and of course it overwrote grub. I put in the FC3 dvd and did
> grub-install /dev/hda but it said it couldn't find /sbin/grub. I tried
> the knoppix cd, entered the grub prompt, and set grub up with these
> commands:
I am not clear what you did. Did you use the FC3 dvd in rescue mode?
If so did you do a chroot <directoy where FC3 partition is mounted by
rescue disk>  before you ran grub-install? If not the grun install
will not work. From the error you got I suspect you did not do the
chroot.

If God had intended Men to Smoke, He would have put Chimneys in their Heads.
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University
One Trinity Place.