what is 'cpuspeed' for?

Trevor Smith trevor at haligonian.com
Tue Jan 4 16:09:23 UTC 2005

On January 3, 2005 11:54 pm, Satish Balay wrote:
> 'cpuspeed' needs to support '--ignore-intermediate-frequencies' option
> to speed up the transtiton between max & min speeds.

I'm not sure what this means. What I was reporting was that cpuspeed on my
machine *never* increased the speed of the cpu *at all* (apparently). It was
always at its slowest setting and made the system unbearable to use. It just
seemed "broken" so I stopped using it and went with powernowd.

Now, it is possible that it was functioning according to some design and that
I just didn't know what that design was or how to modify it, but it seems
seriously flawed to have the software set to perform "out of the box" in a
way that seems fundamentally unacceptable and then not make the information
on how to "correct" it front and center. Just my opinion.

Trevor Smith | trevor at haligonian.com
public key   | http://www.haligonian.com/pgp/