kstart --desktop not working correctly?

Sharon Kimble sharonm63 at tiscali.co.uk
Tue Jan 4 16:52:53 UTC 2005

Charles R. Dennett wrote:

> Tony Dietrich wrote:
>> On Monday 03 Jan 2005 22:21, Charles R. Dennett wrote:
>>
>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>I've been running RedHat9 for coming up on two years.  This past weekend
>>>I upgraded my system to FC3.  The upgrade went well.  After the upgrade
>>>I ran up2date and made sure I had the latest.
>>>
>>>Under RH9 I had a script in ~/.kde/Autostart I used to start up various
>>>windows on certain desktops.  It looked something like this:
>>>
>>>#!/bin/bash
>>>
>>>kstart --desktop 1 konsole -geometry 661x921-0+0 -profile MainKonsole
>>>
>>>kstart --desktop 2 konsole -geometry 1267x449+0+0 -profile BoincKonsole
>>>
>>>kstart --desktop 3 thunderbird
>>>
>>>kstart --desktop 4 firefox
>>>

>> Charlie
>>
>> You shouldn't need this at all, KDE has pretty good session management.
>>
>> Simply start the programs/consoles as the user(s), then log out.
>>
>> KDE should restart the same programs next time you log back on as that
>> user.
>

> Tony,
>
> Well, that helped some.  Just to make sure I did this right, I fired up
> the Control Center, went to the KDE Components section and seleced
> Session Manager.  I changed it from start with an empty session to start
> with a manually saved session.  Saved and exited that.  Then I arranged
> the windows that I want to see at login and then clicked the Red Hat on
> the taskbar and selected save session.
>
> BTW, each konsole actually has 3 shell windows.  The one on desktop 1
> all start in my home directory.  The one on desktop 2 has each shell
> start in a different directory.
>
> I then logged out and logged back in again.  The two konsole windows
> came up fine.  Thunderbird and Firefox never came up.  I manually
> started them, saved the session again and logged out/back in.  Same thing.
>
> I'll keep trying.  Maybe it's the way I start TB and FF.  I do not use
> the FF that came with FC3.  I already had them before I upgraded.
> Installed in /usr/local with /usr/local/bin/firefox and
> /usr/local/bin/thunderbird as symlinks pointing to where the executable
> really is.  /usr/local/bin is in my path.  (I'm an old Sun UNIX sys
> admin and that's the habit I have.)

I use a program called 'kdocker' which allows you to dock a program into the
system tray, and if you log off with them still active and then restart
your session, they are restarted on startup. At the moment I have knode,
Gmail Todo, kpilot, Kcheck Gmail, and firefox locked down with it, and they
all restart. Perhaps it will help your problem?

Take care
Sharon.
--
 16:49:28 up 6 days, 18:25,  1 user,  load average: 1.76, 1.41, 1.33
A taste of linux http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/efever/index.html