Gery listed?

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Tue Jan 4 17:48:46 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-01-04 at 09:24, Peter Arremann wrote:
> Thanks for your reply but I was hoping for more deail - maybe
> someone from RH could respond...
>
> I know the concept but the question should probably better be - why can I send
> 10 mails to the list one day witout issues, the next day I only send three -
> the first and third go through without issues but the middle one gets
> greylisted...

I think Mike is correct, you probably hit a different RH email server on
your messages.  One they have greylisting enabled, the other they
probably don't yet.

> Anyone any idea what does the fedora/rh list mail server base it's greylist
> on?

As far as I know all greylisting implementations use the same basic
criteria, a tuple made up of sending servers IP address, recipient
address, and senders address.  That information is normally stored in
some kind of table or database along with the times of initial contact.
The next time that server tries to send a message with the same tuple it
checks if the delay time has expired or not.  If it has expired that
tuple is auto whitelisted for some period of time, usually at least 24
hours if not 3 days.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com