nvidia and xorg-x11-Mesa-libGL

Kristian Poul Herkild kristian at herkild.dk
Tue Jan 4 18:25:52 UTC 2005

Axel Thimm wrote:

 >On Tue, Jan 04, 2005 at 11:56:54AM +0100, Przemyslaw Gawronski wrote:
 >
 >>Hi Fedora users
 >>
 >>The subject of nvidia driver was up several times. I've managed to
 >>install it correctly according to sugestions given on the list.
 >>
 >>But, one of the steps was to uninstall xorg-x11-Mesa-libGL rpm.
 >

 >No, please don't do that. Use the packages at ATrpms.net that don't
 >require you to blast holes into your rpm database ;)
 >
 >http://ATrpms.net/name/nvidia-graphics/
 >
 >The packages coexist nicely with Mesa.
 >
 >>When ever I update my system with yum this package gets
 >>installed. So I have to uninstall it manually and install nvidia
 >>driver again.
 >>
 >>How do other nvidia users deal with this ?

Don't even think about using .at-packages. Alex Thimm likes to use this
list to spread his packages - without ever fixing the many issues
arrising from using them (those have been proved to exist by me and many
others). It's better to do a search in google on the issue, and on
NVidia-drivers basically "nvidia driver rpm fc3 -atrpms" (the latter
being to remove all results in relation to ATrpms! - very important to
remember).

You didn't have to remove mesa, I can recommend using SmartPM to solve
most issues. Just don't use an ATrpms-package - they screw up your
system, by adding fictious dependencies and conflicting with everything
but other ATrpms-packages.

Why Alex Thimm has chosen a Microsoftish approach is unclear to me, but
as can be seen from an answer to me from AT, he doesn't really care
about the mess, he's  unnecessarily creating for the rest of us.

(Now he's gonna get pissed, I guess :p )

Kind Regards,
Kristian Poul Herkild