Postfix & Hostname problems.

Stewart Williams stewart_cw at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jan 4 22:29:48 UTC 2005

Hi Everyone,

Happy New Year!

I am new to Postfix and I have read various documentation on configuring
it, but I am having a problem understanding/get to work properly the
$myhostname setting.

Basically heres what I am trying to acheive...

I have a domain name hosted with a company with an MX record pointing to
my dedicated FC2 Linux server, that is hosted with another company (I do
not want to change this). My dedicated server already has a FQDN
hostname that was assigned by the hosting company. However, I want
Postfix to use my domain name instead of the system name. So, as far as
I understood all I had to do to overide this is edit main.cf and put in
myhostname=mail.mydomain.com. But this causes all sorts of problems; for
some reason Postfix still insists on using the system hostname. If I run
'postconf -n' mydomain is listed, so why don't it work? am I assuming it
can be overridden when a FQDN hostname already exists, but it cannot?
Arrrggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh! :)

I've spent hours on this, but can't get no further. Please help.

p.s. if I am being a bit vague or you want details of what goes wrong, I
will supply them; just didn't want to bore you all to death :)