HP656C printing blank pages

david walcroft david_walcroft at yahoo.com.au
Wed Jan 5 00:19:14 UTC 2005

John and Grace Lew wrote:

>Hi David,
>1. Yes, I leave it plugged in. So when I boot up with
>WinXP, I can print. And in Fedora, when I try to print
>(even a text file), the printer does respond, but only
>by spitting out a page.
>2.
>[root at localhost /]# sbin/lsusb
>Bus 005 Device 002: ID 03f0:2304 Hewlett-Packard
>DeskJet 656c
>Bus 005 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
>Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
>Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
>Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
>Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
>[root at localhost /]# cd /etc/sysconfig
>[root at localhost sysconfig]# less hwconf
>
>... includes the following:
>
>-
>class: PRINTER
>bus: USB
>detached: 0
>driver: unknown
>desc: "Hewlett-Packard DeskJet 656c"
>usbclass: 7
>usbsubclass: 1
>usbprotocol: 2
>usbbus: 5
>usblevel: 1
>usbport: 0
>usbdev: 2
>vendorId: 03f0
>deviceId: 2304
>usbmfr: HEWLETT-PACKARD
>usbprod: DESKJET 656C
>-
>Interesting that the driver says 'unknown'?
>
>3.
>[root at localhost sysconfig]# rpm -qa | grep hp
>php-4.3.9-3
>rhpl-0.148-1
>php-mysql-4.3.9-3
>hpoj-0.91-9
>hpijs-1.6-2
>php-pear-4.3.9-3
>
>4. Yes it is configured with 'Printer configuration'.
>There are 3 queues: deskjet-656c-1; usblp0;
>usb-printing-interface-1.
>The usblp0 is selected as default. I try to do a Test
>ASCII text printout. The printer spits out a blank
>page, and I'm prompted with the question: "Sent ASCII
>text test page to 'usblp0' queue.  Does it look
>okay?". I select No and I get the following details:

John,
    Well you have no connection problems so its the configuration,you
have the required rpms
in hpoj,hpijs,the /etc/sysconfig/hwconf 'driver unknown'is normal as
hardware is detected before
software drivers are loaded.
 The way I try and fix mine it is to:-

1) delete all your printer queues [so many cloud the issue and confuse
for one printer] and close your
    printer configuration
2) as root run 'ptal-init setup'
3) when asked by ptal for a <queue name> use [for example] HP-656c and
just use 'enter' to all others,
    when complete you "should" see 'mlc:usb:<queue name>' as default device.
4) start up printer configuration and the <queue name> "should" be under
the queue name less 'mlc:usb'
5) When the set up is complete use the 'cups test page' in 'Test'.

      Good luck        david