linux isps

Marc M linuxr at gmail.com
Wed Jan 5 02:45:30 UTC 2005

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 21:24:22 -0500 (EST), S. Bandyopadhyay
<sbandy at umd.edu> wrote:
> On 8:48pm Jan 4, 2005, Marc M wrote
>
> [snip]
>

> >   PS If anyone has gotten netzero service over linux, I would be
> >   interested in hearing about it on or offlist. I didn't see a
> >   workaround with them.
> >

> not that i would ever use netzero (seriously!), but their
> website says they support Linspire (wtf?!?). it seems they
> distribute some sort of a .deb file.
>
> so they have support for linux. it's just that they support
> the wrong distribution. perhaps people should write to them
> and ask them to support a better distribution.
>
> btw- i used Netzero (on windows) once when they had those
> free, ad-supported dialups and i was traveling. it was
> terrible.
> --

Oh, I am sure it is too. I have seen it in action in the early days -
getting kicked offline constantly, unable to connect etc etc.  As far
as Linspire goes, I haven't used it, but I am not interested.  However
if they support a .deb file then I would think that that means greater
support for other .deb type distros- knoppix, regular debian, mepis to
 name a few.  I guess the question comes down to - 'how much work are
you willing to do ?'  Maybe a lot , maybe not much.

Hey, someone needs to create a 'ubiquitous connecting app' -- one that
would allow ANY USER to connect a Linux box, to ANY isp.  It could
have a GUI that allows you to pick your isp if it is one of the big
ones, otherwise give servernames and/or ip addresses to connect.  The
app could fool the isp into thinking that it is the isp's software.
It could contain a bunch of *very similar* code, to what the isp's
themselves use.  This is along the same lines as my earlier post
today, about spoofing stupid websites into thinking that your browser
is whatever they require.  THAT might help the Linux movement as well.
 [Of course, someone is probably already doing _that_ one as well....]
<sigh>

Marc