Can't access file through samba share

John V. Pope jpope_rhn at popes.net
Wed Jan 5 06:28:48 UTC 2005

I have a real brain buster here and need some help to solve this issue.

Firstly, I'm running WinXP SP2 and FC 3 (latest updates thanks to yum).

I have a winXP box that creates a .wmv file in a shared directory.  Attempts to access the file from the linux box fail with a message indicating the file is un-readable.

Before you jump to any conclusions about some sort of permission issues or busy files, you should realize that the file has rwx accross the board and this issue survives reboots and re-mounts of either or both machines.

Just to make myself even more clear, if the same file that is un-readable is simply copied to another file in the same folder it is perfectly readable and works fine.  It's only the original file that has the problems.

This seems to me to be a bug in the smb file system.  I've tried mounting with cifs as well as smbfs.  No help.

Is this a known issue?  Some sort of inode locking that winXP is prone to?

Any help would be appreciated.