Help with installation.

Kam Leo kam.leo at gmail.com
Wed Jan 5 06:44:52 UTC 2005

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 23:28:19 -0500, Kevin J. Cummings
<cummings at kjchome.homeip.net> wrote:
> James Mounts wrote:
> > You will want to look at a couple of things actually...
> >
> > 1. does your 40GIG drive have a 1/2 capacity jumper, and if so is it enabled ( that would account for 20 out of 40 gigs being recognized )
>
> More importantly, go and read the Large-Disk-Drive-HOWTO.  It talks
> about various IDE limitations and where they come from.  Certain BIOSes
> had a 32GB limitation, and my new 120GB HD has a 32GB capacity
> limitation jumper.  I think its the difference between LBA and LBA48 in
> the BIOS.  Many old MB just won't support (all of) today's large IDE drives.
>
> > 2. your super7 board probably needs an update, find out who made your board and go to their respected site and look for a bios update. You can get the exact bios revision from the boot bios string that "should" appear at the bottom of the screen during the post screen (mostly before p4 board, some intel p3 boards don't have that. But you have a super7 board,..IE k6-200)
>
> While this can help, you are probably better off finding hard drives
> that are within the capacity that your MB BIOS will support.  And
> Flashing a BIOS is not for the faint of heart.  Doing it wrong can
> easily turn your MB into a door stop.
>
> > as for your system detected issues, it might have something to do with the cpu's MHZ that was detected. I "THINK" FC 2 + can detect how fast the cpu is during install, and will halt on older systems. Though I NEVER seen this, even with an install on a p133.
>
> I was running K6-2/3D processors at 400 and then 500 MHz (though the 500
> MHz required the latest BIOS for my old motherboard, which luckily all
> of my MBs had).  Even so, I upgraded my MB, CPU, and memory from the
> 500MHz K6-2/3D, w/256MB to an AMD Athlon-XP 2600+ with 512 MB of memory
> before I upgraded from RH9 to FC2.  My cost a year ago was just a bit
> more than US$200 for the upgrade (I already had the new ATX case/PS).
>
> > IF that is the case, look into your systems FASTEST supported cpu, typically for older super7 boards I think it's a k6-350 ( with a multiplier mod on some older biostar boards ) I know you can pocket a k6 2-450 for about 30 bucks from a used computer store, or 20 shipped from Ebay.com.
>
> Depending on both your MB and your BIOS this could be 350 or 400 or 500
> or 550MHz.  K6-2 chips are becoming scarce from vendors.
>
> > I don't have any hdd's that are less then 20 gigs these days, so I cannot confirm whether or not FC3 can install on a drive less then 6.4gigs. you might want to consider dropping the smaller drive OR using it as a data dump drive just so it doesn't go to waist.
>
> The same with hdds.  I was able to find a 30GB hdd for my son's system
> for US$43 last year.  Its just about the largest hdd the system will
> support due to the 32GB BIOS limitation.  NOTE:  while running RH9, I
> was able to play with CONFIG_IDE_STROKE in the 2.4 Linux kernel and I
> [...]

Simon,

Upgrading the BIOS does have an element of risk ; however, if the
process was not fairly reliable MB manufacturers would not offer
either the utilities or the patches to the public.

I don't believe that you are among the faint-hearted or you wouldn't
be installing Fedora Core.  Do the simple things first; i.e. check
drive jumpers, install drive sector translation software for full
usage of your hardware, etc.  If those steps are not sufficient for
you then you need to decide whether to go for the BIOS update or get
new(er) hardware.

Good luck,

Kam