Kernel Sources

Markku Kolkka markkukolkka at kolumbus.fi
Wed Jan 5 12:22:36 UTC 2005

Chadley Wilson kirjoitti viestissään (lähetysaika keskiviikko, 5.
tammikuuta 2005 06:25):
> > >  4. In resulting tree, the configurations for the specific
> > > kernels shipped in Fedora Core 3 are in the /configs/
> > > directory. For example, the i686 SMP configuration file is
> > > named /configs/kernel-<version>-i686-smp.config. Issue the
> > > following command to place the desired configuration file
> > > in the proper place for building:
> > >
> > >             cp <desired-file> ./.config
>
> Which directory am I supposed to be in when I run this
> command?

The base of the unpacked kernel source tree created by the
rpmbuild command in step 3, just as the instructions say ("In
the resulting tree..."). Did you perform step 3? Without any
errors?

> Well I have never ever done this, I am following the release
> notes way, thats all. I am not recompiling the kernel and am
> not doing anything custom. So in the perfect world situation
> here which file would you copy?

The file from the configs directory that is right for your
desired kernel architecture. I'm not telepathic, so I don't know
which one is right for you.

> Give me some Idea as what it is I am supposed to copy, for all
> I know I must put a pdf file in configs directory.

You don't _put_ anything in the configs directory, you copy a
file _from_ the configs directory as the file ".config" in the
base of the kernel tree.

> Please
> understand I haven't got a clue as to what is meant by "cp
> <desired-file>"

You should know the basics of Linux/Unix command line use before
trying to build a kernel.

--
 Markku Kolkka
 markku.kolkka at iki.fi