How to migrate profile/account from Windoze Mozilla to FC3

A. Rick Anderson arick at pobox.com
Wed Jan 5 17:38:23 UTC 2005

Felix Miata wrote:

>A. Rick Anderson wrote Wed, 05 Jan 2005 11:16:30 -0500:
>

>>Felix Miata wrote:
>>

>>     A. Rick Anderson wrote:
>>

>>          What files do I need to copy from my windoze box
>>          to my Linux box so that
>>          when I bring up mozilla mail, I get all my
>>          existing email, filters,
>>          directories, addresses, etc.
>>

>>     This issue is addressed indirectly beginning at
>>     http://www.mozilla.org/start/1.5/faq/profile.html#backup
>>

>>     Once you've copied the files, you'll need to edit prefs.js to correct
>>     the absolute pathnames and the names of the *.s & *.w files.
>>     See http://www.mozilla.org/start/1.7/ and its links for
>>     additional information.
>>

>>I've tried following the directions, but not having much success. My
>>current road block is that Mozilla won't display any hidden
>>directories or files, so I can't point the "Local File" property at
>>the .mozilla directory. The directory that it claims it is using
>>doesn't exist.
>>

>That sounds like a Gnome filepicker problem. I never did find out how it
>can be made to display .* files or directories. Last I checked, KDE
>doesn't have such a limitation. Regardless, I'd be using mc to do the
>file copies and editing, all of which should be done with Mozilla fully
>closed, anyway.

Turns out that there is a context menu (right mouse click) in the
mozilla file browser window that displays hidden files.  The reason I
have the file browser open in mozilla is that the FAQ.  After closing
Mozilla completely, you copy the files, edit prefs.js (in order to
delete any directory conflicts) and then you need to point the profile
manager at the copied directory (minus the SALT).

I've done that, and none of my email filter rules, folders or existing
email shows up.  Strangely, there were a bunch of old mail from the June
- August time frame.

This is being sent from Linux, so obviously it is connecting.  I've just
lost everything from before.
--
A. Rick