[newb, fc3] Samba Problems

neilh.net at boltblue.com neilh.net at boltblue.com
Wed Jan 5 18:53:45 UTC 2005

Quoting "neilh.net at boltblue.com" <neilh.net at boltblue.com>:

> applications - system settings - server settings does not have a samba
> configuration option, so I go to Package Management to install
> system-config-samba.
>
> Package Management tells me that it can't install samba-client because
> it can't
> find samba-common.
>
> If I go to install samba-common I get told that the package is already
> installed.

I got there in the end simply with

yum install sytem-config-samba

...which gives...

blah, blah, blah...

Dependencies Resolved
Transaction Listing:
  Install: system-config-samba.noarch 0:1.2.22-0.fc3.1

Performing the following to resolve dependencies:
  Install: samba.i386 0:3.0.10-1.fc3
Is this ok [y/N]: y
Downloading Packages:
system-config-samba-1.2.2 100% |=========================| 192 kB    00:03
samba-3.0.10-1.fc3.i386.r 100% |=========================|  13 MB    03:56
Running Transaction Test
Finished Transaction Test
Transaction Test Succeeded
Running Transaction
Installing: samba 100 % done 1/2
Installing: system-config-samba 100 % done 2/2

Installed: system-config-samba.noarch 0:1.2.22-0.fc3.1
Dependency Installed: samba.i386 0:3.0.10-1.fc3
Complete!

I guess this is a bug with the package management gui.
I conclude that Fedora isn't a particularly wise choice for Linux newbies or
people who like to use guis.