possible bug

jim lawrence fedorajim at gmail.com
Wed Jan 5 17:08:27 UTC 2005

hi all,

I have the following ...
Linksys BEFW11S4 Router
Notebook with intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG
I have installed the ipw2200bg drivers 0.19-19
I have the network tools install (perfer not to use the CMD line tho)
networkmanager is installed but doesn't work ---- disabled as of now

i've been trying to get my wireless to connect to my router with wep
encryption, & not broadcasting my SSID (with no sucess)
so far this where i'm at...  when i have the parameters of
in my router
SSID -- Not brocasting
WEP -- using XXXXXXXXXXX
in fedora using aplications-->system settings-->network

profile-- Home (created my own) followed instructions from tammy fox
in help file
edit the eth0 wireless   and give it the above parameters

when i try to activate the card I get the  "cannot set bite rate error".
it then trys to ping my router and has no success (obviously  no connection!!)
so I reboot.  I get to the point of acquiring an IP address and the
system hangs and hangs.  I then throw in the rescue CD and edit the
wireless config file so it is not activated on boot. I then reboot and
I get this... Fedora asks my that it is going to remove my device
(wait a minute, why is it going to remove my device ? because it
couldn't get an IP adress?  )  so I let it remove the device, the it
tells me it found the new device ( my wireless device and asks me if
want to configure it now or later.  I configure it now , assign by
DHCP, go to my other PC  go into my router and change the settings to
Broadcast the SSID
WEP   Not used  ( disabled)
 I Do Not use and type of security measures so as the the wireless is
concerned it is open to everyone.  I then continue to allow my
notebook to continue booting i remove the above profile edit the
common profile  and it finds the AP i get a IP and all is well.   Now
why is it that if i choose to not broadcast my SSID and impose a WEP
key to be used that Fedora has to take a shit, give me the Bit rate
error and remove my device??
I would like to have a Secure wireless network (at least some what)
is it because the  IPW2200BG drivers can't work like this yet?
--
Still Learning Linux
Still HaTE Microsoft

jim lawrence