Video-Streaming-Server

Ow Mun Heng Ow.Mun.Heng at wdc.com
Thu Jan 6 08:18:42 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-01-06 at 15:25, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-01-06 at 00:10, Ow Mun Heng wrote:
> > >
> > > VidoLan Server sounds like the obvious choice, although VideoLan Client
> > > has grown some serving capability too.
> >
> > I'm actually talking about VideoOnDemand. Will VLS work then?
>
> It should, up to what your hardware can support.

I wonder how beefy the box has to be then to server like comcast?

> >  What's the limitation in
> > terms of Bandwidth/network latency/HD speed etc...???
>
> If everyone on the LAN watches the same thing you can
> multicast.  If you send something different to each it will
> add up quickly.  There is some documentation here:
> http://www.videolan.org/doc/

Thanks for the link. VLC may be a much better alternative compared to
Mythtv in that sense. (If not mistaken, MythTV/Freevo is more towards
PVR right?)

> > I'm not even sure how to begin visualising the network infrastructure to
> > support this. I mean, if it's for 1-5 users, OK.. what about if it's
> > like a _big_ scale initiative? What does the _big_ ppl use?
>
> I have service from Comcast that actually works but I have no
> idea how they do it.

Well.. Wish I know too..
:-(

> ---
>   Les Mikesell
>    les at futuresource.com

PS : Can you  change your sig to "-- "(notice the space) I asked about
this in Evolution-list (about sig stripping) and they were it's based on
RFC ???? that anything after "-- " is stripped off in the reply.

--
Ow Mun Heng
Gentoo/Linux on DELL D600 1.4Ghz