Nvidia Signal 11 error

Anthony J Placilla anthony_placilla at SUTH.COM
Thu Jan 6 13:39:34 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-01-05 at 18:52 -0500, fredex wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 05, 2005 at 07:03:37PM +0200, Chadley Wilson wrote:
> > Greetings,
> >
> > I get quite an odd error with my nvidia mx440se
> >
> > all my 3d apps run for a while then suddenly terminate,
> > no errors reported, logs are empty.
> > I have run the apps from a terminal, in Quake3 Arena and celestia I get this
> > when the apps terminate.
> >
> > Received signal 11, exiting...
> > Shutdown tty console
> > [root at check39 ~]#
> >
> > Is something in my security causing this?
>
> Thre's a FAQ, somewhere (maybe at the LDP site??) on signal-11 issues.
> It's generally attributed to flaky hardware, commonly elicited by system-
> intensive activities such as a kernel (or other large) compile.
>
> > Exercise freedom, Use LINUX
>
> Amen!

SIG 11 is a segmentation violation. Typically (but not always) caused by
flaky RAM. Sometimes the memory allocation via the controller does it.

It can also be caused by enabling the memory hole parameters in your
BIOS.

The (extensive) SIG11 FAQ is at:
http://www.bitwizard.nl/sig11/

Tony Placilla, RHCT
anthony_placilla at suth.com
J.O.A.T.

GPG-Key-ID: 1024D/C78F8B64              http://pgp.mit.edu
Key fingerprint = A8D5 7AFF CE88 4179 C792  D9A9 F197 2A15 C78F 8B64