ThinkPad, APM S3, and kernel 2.6.9-1.724_FC3

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Thu Jan 6 19:58:17 UTC 2005

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005, James Mckenzie wrote:

> Chris Ruprecht said about Thinkpad, APM S3 and kernel 2.6.9-1.724_FC3:
>
> >After I disabled lm_sensors, my machine no longer freezes.
> >In order to do that, delete these sym-links:
> >
> >/etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S26lm_sensors
> >/etc/rc.d/rc5.d/S26lm_sensors
> >
> I would not run lm_sensors on any Thinkpad.  If a slipup occurs, major
> damage will occur which is NOT covered by the IBM warrenty.  Thanks for
> the advice on how to disable this problematic and dangerous process (at
> least for IBM Thinkpads.)

I had a conversation with the author of lm_sensors, and he assured me that
it is now pretty much harmless on Thinkpads, though it doesn't do anything
useful either (at least the version that came with FC3).  I left it
running and it's done no harm to my T41.

I tried disabling it, and it did *not* solve the freeze-on-resume problem
with kernel-2.6.9-1.724_FC3.  I will file in Bugzilla next time I have
Internet if nobody beets me to it.

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences