Floppy mounting

Robert Spangler bms at zoominternet.net
Thu Jan 6 18:22:02 UTC 2005

Temlakos <temlakos <at> gmail.com> writes:

> In FC3, as far as I've determined, any USB device will now mount itself
> automatically, same as a CD or DVD does. (I haven't tested simply
> jerking out the USB plug to see whether that's safe or not--is it?) But
> my floppy drive won't detect the disk in the drive--and Disk Management
> tell me that "there are no file systems that you are allowed to mount or
> unmount; contact your system administrator." I haven't yet tried to
> stick in a floppy disk when logged in as "root," but--hey, come on!--if
> someone has to log in as "root" just to use a floppy disk, that's a real
> step backward from prior releases, don't you think?

If memory serves me correctly I believe this has something to do with SELinux
kernel.  I remember reading somewhere, can't remember where, that the SELinux
kernel doesn't allow Joe-user to mount a floppy because of security issues, real
or imaginary as it might be.

You could test this by shutting down the kernel security with selinux=0 and
mounting the drive again.