cisco vs. dell switch on fedora

Skunk Worx skunkworx at verizon.net
Fri Jan 7 03:35:29 UTC 2005

hello,

i am having a heck of a time getting a dell 5324 switch to dhcp directly
to a couple linux boxes i have hung off it.

enabling portfast on the cisco switches instantly fixed this problem, so
i was suprised to see no change on the dell 5324. it's like i changed
nothing at all.

i have also disabled STP on the ports in question, but it still takes
1-7 seconds or more for the link to come up. this conflicts with a 5
second timeout in the network scripts.

does anyone know of another setting i can change on the dell 5324 to
help with this negotiation/dhcp/spanning-tree problem when i have linux
boxes connected directly to the switch?

the more machines plugged in, the worse it is. none of our ciscos do this.

disabling STP on the ports got rid of the larger delay of a minute or
more, but not this 1-7 (or more) second lag when bringing up the interface.

for now we have upped the timeout to 15 seconds in the network scripts
while we hunt for a real solution.

thx,
flash