how do I upgrade from Fedora Core 1 to Fedora Core 3...

Marc M linuxr at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 18:57:49 UTC 2005

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 18:49:59 +0000, Garry Cronin
<garry.cronin at oracle.com> wrote:
> I have a dual boot system (Windows 200 & Fedora Core 1). I have ample
> disk space on both partitions to download the Fedora Core 3 ISO
> images...so, which is the best method for me to upgrade to Fedora Core
> 3. For example, does Fedora Core 1 have an upgrade utility I can use
> directly from within Fedora to upgrade the O.S. to Fedora Core 3,
> without having to leave Fedora.
>
> Any suggestions would be welcome.
>
> thanks
> - Garry
>
> --

Hi Garry,

Is there any overriding reason why you want to specifically upgrade
instead of reinstall?

I recommend not doing an attempt at an upgrade because of a lot of
weird problems that people get into when upgrading versions,
especially multiple versions which is the case here.
Search the archives and you will see what I mean.

It would be far better to just burn the 3 FC3 cd's as .iso disks, and
do an install from scratch.  I would recommend getting a bittorrent
client such as azureus so you don't mess up the download of the iso's.
 That would be the cleanest method.  It would be easy since you could
keep all your same partitions and such.  No guarantees - better back
up your data first just in case.

Marc