FC3/IPsec and Linksys VPN router

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Fri Jan 7 04:22:04 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-01-06 at 22:40, Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I decided to try out the new IPsec "wizard" (what are they called in
> Gnome, anyway? I know it's not wizard) in the system-config-network
> tool.  It's also the first time I've tried the new IPsec features in the
> kernel.
>
> The setup seemed fairly easy, however I wasn't able to actually connect
> to the Linksys VPN router (BEFVP41).
>
> Here are the settings I entered for IPsec on the client side:
>
> 1. Nickname: Office
> 2. Type of connection: Network to Network encryption
> 3. Type of encryption: Automatic via IKA (racoon)
> 4. Local network address: 192.168.1.101
>    Local subnet: 255.255.255.0
>    Local network gateway: 192.168.1.1
>
> 5. Remote IP address: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx  (the BEFVP41 WAN IP)
>    Remote network address: 192.168.0.0
>    Remote subnet mask: 255.255.0.0
>    Remote network gateway: 192.168.0.1

The problem may be the subnet mask you used on the remote side.  A 16
bit subnet will include the local subnet you defined above.  You need to
use a 24 bit subnet most likely.

Even if the vpn was established the linksys would think 192.168.1.101
was local to it.

You need to make sure you don't have overlapping address space for the
VPN.  Not sure if the linksys allows you to utilize NAT to convert that
or not for the other end of the VPN.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

Get in touch with your feelings of hostility against the dying light.
		-- Dylan Thomas [paraphrased periphrastically]