Floppy mounting

Temlakos temlakos at gmail.com
Fri Jan 7 00:08:28 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-01-06 at 18:22 +0000, Robert Spangler wrote:
> Temlakos <temlakos <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
> > In FC3, as far as I've determined, any USB device will now mount itself
> > automatically, same as a CD or DVD does. (I haven't tested simply
> > jerking out the USB plug to see whether that's safe or not--is it?) But
> > my floppy drive won't detect the disk in the drive--and Disk Management
> > tell me that "there are no file systems that you are allowed to mount or
> > unmount; contact your system administrator." I haven't yet tried to
> > stick in a floppy disk when logged in as "root," but--hey, come on!--if
> > someone has to log in as "root" just to use a floppy disk, that's a real
> > step backward from prior releases, don't you think?
>
> If memory serves me correctly I believe this has something to do with SELinux
> kernel.  I remember reading somewhere, can't remember where, that the SELinux
> kernel doesn't allow Joe-user to mount a floppy because of security issues, real
> or imaginary as it might be.
>
> You could test this by shutting down the kernel security with selinux=0 and
> mounting the drive again.

Did better than that--I shoved a floppy into the drive and then browsed
the "Computer" icon on my desktop. That "folder" had an icon for the
floppy drive; I right-clicked and gave the order to mount, and it
mounted.

All that's happened, then, is that the Disk Management tool is off-
limits.

For the record, I set SELinux to "Warn" rather than "Active." I'd like
to see what "warnings" I'm supposed to get--thus far, I've never had any
to pop up at me.

--
Temlakos <temlakos at gmail.com>