Kernel sources script

Chadley Wilson chadley at pinteq.co.za
Fri Jan 7 07:25:04 UTC 2005

On Thursday 06 January 2005 22:16, Axel Thimm wrote:
> Hi Alexander,
>
> On Thu, Jan 06, 2005 at 07:15:04PM +0100, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> > > #build the source tree
> > > cd /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/
> > > rpmbuild -v -v -bp --target=`uname -m` kernel-2.6.spec
> > > cp
> > > -f
> > > /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/kernel-2.6.9/linux-2.6.9/configs/kernel-2.6.9-i68
> > >6.config /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/kernel-2.6.9/linux-2.6.9/.config
> >
> > Dave Jones recently pointed out here on the list that the
> > kernel-2.6.9-i686.config is a suggestion and does not necessarily must
> > match the config of the kernel you installed above. You want an example?
>
> That's a reason to not use --target noarch, e.g. the above would work
> in reproducing a kernel sources tree actually used by Red Hat (he will
> not see a difference in the diff like you do).
>
> If you use --target noarch you get config files that are _recommended_
> by Red Hat as a basis for creating custom kernels. There the
> CONFIG_DEBUG switches have been changed. If you use --target no-noarch
> ;) then the config files remain untouched.
>
> so it depends on what you need the kernel sources for, creating kernel
> modules for Red Hat shipped kernels (the don't use noarch), or
> creating your own kernels (use noarch).
Wow,
Guys, thanks very much for all the advise.
As I said in the original post, I need to build the source tree, this allows
me to install some drivers, modems in particular. which demand the source
tree to be there.

What I should mention is last year I built 4500 linux machines, this year we
are already shipping a 1000. So on the production line I can't update 1000
machines on using yum or up2date. so for the standard spec I am writting a
new script for fedora 3.

Hence from my own server I simply run a script that fixes various problems,
and configures all the extra stuff like dvd, xmms-mp3 etc.. it also compiles
the drivers that are required for each batch. I have a test in the script
that checks for nvidia and ati and installs and configures apropriatley. and
for modems as well. when they are finished and work on my systems, I will be
happy to share them for both critism and improvements.

Hence I hope you understand the method in my madness.

Thanks very much for the help from Paul, Alexander and Axel

--
Chadley Wilson
Redhat Certified Technician