FireWire questions.

Naoki naoki at valuecommerce.com
Fri Jan 7 08:28:54 UTC 2005

Hey,

What exactly is the SBP2 driver and why is it needed for FireWire? I've
just picked up a very simple firewire disk enclosure for some testing
and noticed the manual says I need the raw1394 and sbp2 drivers.
Wondering if FC3 will see it with the default kernel.

Off topic question :
UltraScsi III does 320mb/sec which is all well and nice but scsi being a
million years old need pre-allocated ID and termination, max 16 devices
etc etc.
FireWire on the other hand does 400/800mb/sec and can not only support
63 devices but you can daisy chain and it doesn't need termination. On
top of that you can daisy chain up to 1023 buses together.

So, why is scsi still alive?