k3b and glibc fault

Ulrich Drepper drepper at redhat.com
Fri Jan 7 21:05:45 UTC 2005

Markus Huber wrote:
> I have a problem which occurs on my desktop but not on my notebook.
>
> When I start k3b I get the following message:
>
> [markus at FC3 ~]$ k3b
> kbuildsycoca running...
> *** glibc detected *** double free or corruption (out): 0x09367268 ***
> Der Wecker klingelt

The first part is generated by glibc.  It means the program has memory
handling problems and corrupted memory.  The default action is to
terminate the process using SIGABRT.  It seems the program intercepted
the signal and did something else which resulted in a SIGALRM.  You can
probably ignore this, so, find the memory corruption.

Try running the code under valgrind.  If this doesn't work you'll have
to run the program under gdb or look at the core file with gdb and see
which memory blocks are affected.  The track down where this memory is
modified.