Wireless cards

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Fri Jan 7 22:20:25 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-01-07 at 11:16, Aleksandar Milivojevic wrote:
> I'm thinking about getting new wireless wireless card for laptop.  But
> I'd rather have something that already has a driver distributed with
> Linux kernel, than something I need to compile/recompile every time
> kernel is upgraded (or god forbid use Windows driver).
>
> The two I had my eyes on are Linksys Wireless-G (I'd prefer this one,
> provided there's native Linux support) and SMC2835W EZ Connect G
> Wireless.  Both are PCMCIA (Cardbus) cards.  Anybody using one of those
> two cards?  What drivers?  Will they "just work" when plugged into Linux
> box or do I need to download/compile drivers?
>
> Any other recommendations for Wireless PCMCIA/Cardbus cards (as long as
> the card is "G" and driver is included with Fedora)?

You will need to verify what chip set the particular card is that you
get.  I have a D-Link DWL-G650 (version 1 I think) that uses the prism
chipset.  I have been using the prism54 driver with it for well over a
year now with no problems.  I believe FC3 comes with prism54 driver
now.  However other versions of the DWL-G650 cards use different chip
sets.  I think I hears some use the atheros chip set but don't hold me
to that.

So the key is the chip set on the card.  Manufactures (all of them I
believe) have a habit of using the cheapest parts they can find for
particular runs of cards without changing the model number, but most of
them do change the version number.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

-- I love KATRINKA because she drives a PONTIAC.  We're going away
now.  I fed the cat.