RPM's

Johnathan Bailes johnathan.bailes at gmail.com
Sun Jan 9 01:25:58 UTC 2005

On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 23:47:30 +0100, Maciej R. <m.mail at vp.pl> wrote:
> Hello out there,
>
> I wanted to download aMule but there are no RPM's for Fedora Core 3
> (anyway - do you know good P2P tools?).

Download the source.

Follow this guide

http://www.amule.org/wiki/index.php/HowTo_Compile_In_FC3

>Would the Suse 9.2 or FC2 ones
> work on my FC3?

The FC2 packages might work or they might bomb.  Try the FC2 one and see.

The Suse one will probably not work.  Different distros have defaults
and locations for stuff.

>What are the differences between RPM's for different
> distros?

Do you want the full laundry list or just the top ten?

Different libraries and different default locations and different
configuration tools and packaging methods and ....  get the picture?

Choosing a distro is making a statement about which packaging system,
config tools and location standards you prefer.

For example Suse use to put all the KDE and Gnome stuff /opt for
goodness sakes.  While RH and Fedora throws everything under /usr.

>Wouldn't it be easier to download a kind of EXE file for all
> distros?
>
> --
> Maciej R. <m.mail at vp.pl>

Well, gosh most programs you PAY for come with an installer.

Games like Majesty Gold use the old Loki installer.  Netvault and
Oracle I believe both have command line installers.  Test Track Pro
had a graphical installer I believe.

They were just binaries that installed themselves on the file system.
Usually commercial apps do this in the /opt dir.  This is the
convention except for games (this annoys me) which install in
/usr/local/games.

Now when people put stuff out for free.  You take what you can get.

I have gotten freeware for Windows back in the day that varied in huge
degrees in terms of the quality of their installers and how
"correctly" they played with various windows standards.