autmount/unmount USB drives

Emre CELEBI fedoralist at lycos.com
Sun Jan 9 10:06:44 UTC 2005

Hi,

Im trying to administer a Fedora 2 box and have some difficulties with automount service. I hope some of the linux gurus can help me with this annoying problem.

I have configured autofs to mount my usb drives automatically when its plugged in and put an idle time 4 seconds for the auto-unmount option.

The problem is even if the automount option with autofs works correctly when i plug in the usb, it seems it does not aouto-unmount the usb even if i un-plug it after 10 seconds. mount command shows that my usb is still mounted with the specified autofs mount directory even if the usb is not connected!.

I just want to ask how to solve this problem so that automount works and un-mounts the usb stick when its unplugged after the idle time. Shoul i write a script for hotplug deamon for unmounting? or need a specific autofs configuration trick? I know udev solves this problem but since this box is a fedora 2 (i think udev is supported by fedora 3 right?) and it is currently serving many services i dont want to ruin server while installing udev since im not very experienced in it. However it would be also helpfull if you can point me to a doc/how-to for setting up udev on fedora 2 (if it is possible).

Thanks in advance for your helps,

Emre.