PCMCIA not working.

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Sun Jan 9 21:57:11 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-01-09 at 14:44, David Donnelly wrote:
> I have been unable to get any pcmcia card working under fc3. I am
> googled to death about this so I turn to the list...

pcmcia and wireless cards under linux are difficult to get working at
times.

> I am attempting to install a Linksys WPC11 ver.3 wireless card. The
> laptop is a Compaq r3000. It has a built in wireless which uses a
> Broadcom chipset. I have that working with Ndiswrapper. I am intending
> to use the Linksys card as a wireless scanner. I have lights on the card

Kismet and other tools of that type apparently won't work with cards
using ndsiwrapper.

So you will need a different card that native drivers.

> and have installed the wlan-ng driver which is supposed to work with
> this card. Although I have configured the card, I get a "wlan1 has
> different mac address than expected" on boot. This error actually has
> nothing to do with the mac address as I found a similar bug while
> googling. What is actually happening is the card is not found. I also
> attempted to plugin an older Xircom ethernet pcmcia I had here and it
> doesn't work either.
>
> Any suggestions as to what to try. I am considering the fact that the
> pcmcia slot may not work on the computer, but I don't have XP on this
> computer anymore to try in it windows. I hadn't tried another pcmcia
> card prior to this either so I don't know if it ever worked.

Not sure this is part of the problem or not but make sure you tell the
system NOT to start the card at boot time.  Of course when the pcmcia
services start it will be started anyway.

Have you looked at lspci to see if the system sees the card?

Which version of Fedora Core?

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

Everything ends badly.  Otherwise it wouldn't end.