Linux Boot option hide

Jonathan Berry berryja at gmail.com
Mon Jan 10 06:27:22 UTC 2005

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 03:37:03 +0000, jack jill <jackjill52 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi guys ,
>
> i have dual boot system with Linux and Windows 2003 server & XP. yesterday i
> re-installed the win 2003 server. after that when i reboot the system there
> was no option for Linux. It directly goes to Win Boot options.
>
> Please tell me how to fix this probe.
>
> thankx.
> Jack

Well, this means that Windows wrote over your MBR, which means you are
no longer using GRUB as your boot loader.  Boot to the Fedora rescue
disk (or disk one booting with "linux rescue", I believe) then issue
the commands:
chroot /mnt/sysimage
grub-install /dev/hda

The first changes it to where you have your Fedora installation
mounted on / instead of /mnt/sysimage (where the rescue mounts it).
The second re-installs the GRUB boot loader, assuming hda (first IDE
hard disk) is your main boot disk.  If this doesn't work, please
provide more info about your setup (disk partitions and such).

Jonathan